Have you ever found yourself locked out of your home at night? If so, then you also know how frustrating and scary it can be. You’re left wondering, “What am I going to do now?”
Fortunately, there are a some steps that can be taken to help make the situation less stressful.
Step #1 Keep Your Composer
If you are locked out of your home or office, the first step is to keep your composer. Unless the situation is urgent, it takes time for a locksmith to arrive at your location.
Step #2 Ask For Assistance
Next, you should call the people with whom you share your apartment or room. If they’re not home, look for the name of someone who lives on your floor and call them.
If you don’t know anyone’s name or number, then call a family member or friend to stay with while calling locksmith service providers.
Step #3 Call A Professional locksmith
The next logical step is to get in touch with a professional locksmith. It may not be a cheap process, but it will surely get you inside your home quickly. It may cost you around $30 to $100 for residential locksmith service. However, they will provide services even at night or in unfavorable weather.
Step #4 Look For an Opening
An open window can help get you in your house in case you are locked out. This is a very last-ditch effort, but it may be your best bet. Check all of the windows on the ground floor and see if any are open – even ones that don’t usually stay open can sometimes work in this scenario.
If you’re able to go into one of these rooms through an open window or door, then get in and try to open the locked door from inside to check if everything is fine with the door lock.
If you’re not able to get back in, try the locksmith number again.
Again, this is a very last-ditch effort, and it’s unlikely that an open window will help you – so if nothing works on your own, don’t be afraid to call locksmiths for assistance!
Step #5 Improvise To Pick The Lock
Although there is a very slim chance for this step to work, It might just help you get into your house.
For this DIY process to work, you need 2 bobby pins or two paper clips.
- Bend one of the pins and make it into L shaped tool, and straighten the other one.
- Make a W shape at the tip of the straight pin.
- Hold the L-shaped pin inside the keyhole to keep tension in the lock and insert the W-shaped pin inside the lock.
- Push both the pin upward, and this should unlock your door.
However, If you have a spring bolt at the door, you need to follow a different strategy.
- Choose an old and damaged card inserted between the door frame and the door, right near the lock.
- Push and shake the card around and push it inside so that it bends and pushes the door’s latch.
- Next, you must slide the card between the door frame and the latch; as the card reaches this point, you will be able to open the door.
Step #6 Take The Door Nob Out
You can take the door nob out if you’re locked out of your house at night. You should follow the following steps to take the door nob out of the door.
- Insert a bobby pin inside the pin-sized hole or connections at the doorknob’s side and apply pressure.
- Keep pushing the pin inside with one hand, and use your other hand to pull and rotate the nob.
- Keep continuing this process until the door nob is removed completely.
- Remove the late around the nob and pull back on the locking mechanism to unlock to door.
How To Avoid Being Locked Out
It is always best to take precautions for such situations in advance. You may never know when you might come under such circumstances.
Keep a Spare Key: You may start to keep a spare key with a person you trust, such as your friends or neighbors. In this way, you can always get the key to your door, even if you lose them.
Use Smart Locks: Many people have gone keyless these days by installing smart locks in their homes. These locks do not have any keys and can be operated with an app on your phone. Some locks can be paired with a home security system. With this function, you will be alerted if there is an attempt at a break-in.
Hide The Key: There is another way you can prevent the lockout. You can always try to hide your spare key at a safe place, like beneath a flower or the welcome mat outside your door.
But you can avoid all these hassles by giving us a call because, at Worcester Locksmiths, we provide all kinds of professional help regarding lock repairing or lock replacement. We try to provide the quickest way to solve all your lockout problems in a very short time. We have an experienced locksmith team who will be at your doorstep within no time to get you in your home. You can count on our service even after repairing because we also specialize in after-sale service. We are available 24/7 in multiple locations throughout Worcester. Give us a call to get a free quote from us.